Telecommunications Services of Trinidad and Tobago Limited (generally known as TSTT) is the largest telephone and Internet service provider in Trinidad and Tobago. The company, which is jointly owned by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago and Cable & Wireless, was formed out of a merger of Telco (Trinidad and Tobago Telephone Company Limited) and Textel (Trinidad and Tobago External Telecommunications Company Limited).
TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO EXTERNAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMPANY LIMITED (TEXTEL)
The Trinidad and Tobago External Telecommunications Company Limited (TEXTEL), was incorporated as a limited liability company in December 1969 a joint venture participation, with the Government of Trinidad and Tobago holding 51% of the share capital and Cable and Wireless (West Indies) Limited, the other 49%.
The Company acquired the assets of Cable and Wireless in Trinidad and Tobago and assumed responsibility for external telecommunications, commencing 1st January 1970. As the legally constituted body charged with the responsibility for telecommunication links between the country and the rest of the world, TEXTEL provided the transmission, switching and signaling facilities to interconnect with the international facilities of all other countries.
TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO TELEPHONE COMPANY LIMITED (TELCO)
The first telephone was introduced in Trinidad and Tobago in 1883 and the first Telephone Exchange was located adjacent to the Town Hall (now City Hall) on Frederick Street. By 1898, the Telephone System had developed sufficiently to justify enactment of the Telephone Communication Ordinance.
The British owned Trinidad Consolidated Telephones Limited was responsible for the early developmental growth of the Telephone Network in Trinidad and Tobago from the mid-1930′s until 1960.
The major thrust of TELCO’s development programme took place during the period 1982 to 1987.The Company’s operations were divided into the following Divisions – Technical Operations, Marketing, Human Resources and Finance. The Company’s employee headcount consisted of 2,300 employees (including contractors).